Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Miss Black USA pageant: the 2013 Experience

I have so much to say, but I want to start off by saying that I give all praises to Jesus Christ who strengthens me. Without him, I would not have had the strength and courage to carry through this journey and on to the next.

The Miss Black USA scholarship pageant is a pageant where contestants can get their praise on, of course to God, by openly praying , singing and having a hallelujah good time. It is well worth the investment just to add. I met so many young women who were believers in Jesus Christ and talk about prayer warriors; each young woman had the anointing of Jesus Christ to plant the seed and this was evident in their walk and talk.

From the testimonies of pain, betrayal, their journey's of becoming closer to God and all the things that we are continuing to work on, gave me another chance to heal, develop and learn in my own personal journey. These women come from States across the US and their trials/tribulations and their battles to overcome are what set precedence for this pageant.

Power!

What a powerful experience.

I walked away from the Miss Black USA pageant knowing that I've made 23 new prayer partners and the opportunity of meeting future leaders that will take over the world someday. This is why I was meant to be there.

Also, I want to use this blog post to address some feelings I've had for a while regarding the newly appointed California State Director, Keisha Escamilla. Please be aware that each contestant that represents California is a reflection of you.

Stop the empty promises and really walk in the light of Jesus Christ. We are not in this competition to compete against each other, but we are here to build and oftentimes rebuild from the hard knock life experiences we hold reminiscences of. You are the first to set an example and I hope that you learn to set the right example for future purposes.

One of these days, I will have to show you how it's done and create a beautiful and official pageant system for the State of California for the Miss Black USA pageant. There won't be bias, there won't be jealousy and most of all there will be no such thing as YOUR journey. No, this is our journey as California and we are all a reflection of our State. I believe this is one of California's greatest weaknesses and it definitely resonates when we go to nationals.

We are one, as black women, the black community and as leaders. There is no me in we. We have to learn to build together.. Not divide and conquer.

To end this post, I will say to every talented, beautifully crafted and remarkable young woman I had the chance to meet in August 2013, you make me proud to be a black woman all over again.

Hate to end this, but I will end it with scripture verses.


Matthew 22:37-39

Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'



No comments: